- Download the latest release for Linux by visiting this link (click the link that says download now).
- If you are using the gnome desktop you can right-click and select extract here or you can extract using the tar command.
tar zxvf Komodo-Edit-5.0.3-2767-linux-libcpp6-x86.tar.gz
- Open up a terminal and move to that directory using cd. Mine is on my desktop so the command looks like this:
- Now run:
- When you are asked where you would like to install it go ahead and type the directory to where it should be installed. Personally I put all custom installs into a folder called Software in my home directory:
- Once it finishes you still have one more step, inserting the executable into your PATH variable. This can be done with a simple command:
sudo ln -s "/home/myuser/Software/Komodo-Edit-5/bin/komodo" /usr/local/bin/komodo
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Installing Komodo Edit 5
Here is another useful tip for having a good development environment. Since there are many Integrated Development Environments on the market I have been going through each one to see what I like and don't like. I have tested many different IDEs available for PHP programming and I have come to like Komodo-Edit. This is the light (free) version of the Komodo IDE 5 program. Since this is not available via a repository let me show you how to install this into your Ubuntu system.