Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Installing Cinelerra

Recently I have needed to do some video editing and wanted to check out some of the best video editors for Linux. It looked like Cinelerra had the best options but it was not clear how to install it easily. I did not want to install from source so after some careful searching around I found the easy way. You can also view these instructions here (I made some additions as they did not work for me as they were written).
  1. Install a repository using this link. After you download the package make sure you install it with the GDebi package installer.
  2. Open a terminal and type this command: sudo apt-get update
  3. Now decide which package you need; cinelerra (x86 and x86_64 without opengl 2.0 video card) cinelerra-generic (x86 and x86_64 with opengl 2.0 video card). You can see the other versions on the page I mentioned earlier under the installation instructions for Hardy
  4. Install your package using apt-get: sudo apt-get install cinelerra-generic
  5. Once installation completes you should be able to find Cinelerra under Applications>Sound & Video.
So far I found the program quite useful and powerful. There are some good articles out there about using it to author DVDs if you do a quick search. One of the articles I read was on linux.com and it was quite helpful to give me a good start on using Cinelerra for editing video. You can find that article here.

3 comments:

El Director said...

Thank you so much for this tut! I tried all the other ones and none of them worked.

Unknown said...

yep, worked. Finally too.

kibunya said...

thanks a million for this tutorial!
this saves me the nightmare of having to compile from source. :D